Best for Cosigners
- Must have a cosigner that is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Eligible borrowers include DACA recipients
- Get 4 free months of Chegg
When it comes to lenders of private student loans, Sallie Mae is probably one of the most well-known names. The company was initially established in 1972 in order to provide servicing for federal student loans.
Today, Sallie Mae provides private student loans for undergraduate and graduate students at universities, in addition to providing funding for professional development. If they have a cosigner from the United States who can be approved, international students can borrow from Sallie Mae.
While students are still in school and after they graduate, borrowers can choose to have their Sallie Mae loan payments deferred, interest-only, or fixed. After making 12 on-time principal and interest payments, international students who have obtained permanent residency status and who meet the requirements for a certain credit score are eligible to apply for the release of their guarantor obligations.
Sallie Mae International student loans for Undergraduate Students
The Smart Option Student Loan for Undergraduate Students is one of the primary loan products offered by Sallie Mae. Some of its main features include:
- This undergraduate student loan can be used for bachelor’s and associate’s degrees, as well as and certificate programs at degree-granting institutions
- There is coverage up to 100% of the school-certified cost of attendance
- There is no prepayment penalty and no origination fee
- When borrowers enroll to make monthly payments by auto debit, they can qualify to receive a 0.25% interest rate reduction
- Repayment options include deferred fixed repayment and an interest repayment option
- Cosigner release after 12 months of on-time payments (principal and interest)
- You might get a decision within 15 minutes of submitting your loan application
Loans for med students & medical professionals
|Sallie Mae Medical School Loan||Sallie Mae Dental School Loan||Sallie Mae Health Professions Graduate Loan|
|Loan amounts||$1,000 – 100% of school-certified expenses||$1,000 – 100% of school-certified expenses||$1,000 – 100% of school-certified expenses|
|Term lengths||Up to 20 years||Up to 20 years||Up to 15 years|
|Fixed APRs||4.25% – 12.84%||5.93% – 10.19%||4.25% – 12.92%|
|Variable APRs||2.50% – 12.10%||3.76% – 9.39%||2.50% – 12.22%|
|Grace period||36 months||12 months||6 months|
|Deferment period||48 months||48 months||48 months|
Benefits of Sallie Mae Student Loans
There are many benefits to Sallie Mae’s student loans, including the following:
- A wide range of borrowers may be eligible. Sallie Mae may accept borrowers with a wide range of credit scores and allow for students to add a cosigner to help satisfy the eligibility requirements.
- International students who are studying in the U.S. may be eligible. Non-U.S. citizens (including DACA students) may be eligible for Sallie Mae’s loans if they add a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as a cosigner.
- Easy application process. The application and approval process is efficient and can all be done online with Sallie Mae.
- Flexible deferment options. Sallie Mae offers multiple deferment options for borrowers including options for grace periods and payment deferments while a borrower is getting their career started.
- Part-time students may be eligible. Whereas many lenders don’t offer loans to part-time students, Sallie Mae does.
- Death and disability discharge. If a borrower dies or becomes permanently disabled before paying off the loan, his or her loan balance will be discharged regardless of whether there was a cosigner on the loan or not.
- Cosigner release. Borrowers may be able to release their cosigner from the loan after 12 on-time principal and interest payments have been made.
- Official Website: https://www.salliemae.com/
- Loans Offered: Undergraduate, Graduate, International, Refinanced, parents, Career loans
- Customer Service: Monday–Friday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET: Phone: 855-756-5626 (855-SLM-LOAN)
- Address: Corporation Service Company, 15 West South Temple, Suite 600 Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Leave a Comment